Executive Director, Medical Affairs
Innovation Partners, LLC (IP) is a growing, high-touch biomedical consulting company that partners with a variety of U.S. and global clients to bring their oncology innovations and other products to a successful U.S. market launch and commercialization. The Executive Director of Medical Affairs will serve as a key member of the Leadership Team, responsible for executing the organization’s Medical Affairs strategy from business development, to hiring to project execution. The right individual will bring a variety of skills and experience to the role, will be practiced within oncology/ hematology, comfortable operating in a fast paced and agile environment and excited by the opportunity to contribute to the growth of the organization in a variety of ways. Must be proactive about leading and growing Medical Affairs and implementing efficiencies, structures and resources, and pitching in as needed.
- Innovation Partners, LLC (IP) is focused on collaborating with biopharmaceutical, medical device and molecular diagnostic manufacturers to make their innovations accessible to patients, providers, and payer stakeholders.
- Client roster includes innovators in oncology, hematology, neurology and rare diseases. Core services and capabilities include market and payer access, qualitative and quantitative market research, and medical affairs and education.
- We have partnered with our clients to support 30+ hematology / oncology brand development and launch strategies.
- Geographic scope of client base includes U.S., Europe, and Asia.
- Innovation Partners is a growing agile consulting firm seeking motivated individuals flexible to evolving with the changing needs of our clients and IP.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Business Development Medical Affairs Strategy 30%
- Participate actively in the business development process, pitching Medical Affairs services and solutions, engaging with clients to understand their business needs and designing customized solutions
- Evaluate Medical Affairs Business Development opportunities and strategies
- Lead the effort to evaluate and improve current Medical Affairs services and develop new Medical Affairs products, capabilities and services.
- Provide content and strategic input to SOWs to ensure projects can be appropriately operationalized
- Work closely with the Director of Business Development to align on Medical Affairs services and solutions for clients including providing the content for pitch materials and for the website and other marketing materials as needed
- Attend conferences and networking events as needed to develop relationships with key stakeholders and pitch Innovation Partner’s Medical Affairs services
Medical Affairs Project Execution 40%
- Foster client relationships developed in the Business Development stage, continue to support clients as projects move into execution
- Work closely with Key Account Manager to ensure client needs are met and projects are managed efficiently
- Provide key Medical Affairs strategy and support to guide the strategy and approach of each Medical Affairs project
- Engage in regular client and project calls as needed to ensure engagements are being appropriately managed and projects are executed on time and to a high standard
- In collaboration with team members lead the development of internal materials needed to execute Medical Affairs projects to include developing client facing decks, project deliverables, core processes and templates as needed in collaboration with Integrator and Project Managers and other consultants and vendors as needed
- Willing to engage at the project level as needed to provide clinical content expertise, medical writing expertise and serve as resource for clinical content development including publications, abstracts, posters, etc.
- Travel as needed to manage live Medical Affairs events
Develop and Supervise Medical Affairs Team 15%
- Lead, manage and develop the Medical Affairs team ensuring it is staffed appropriately engaging in hiring and recruiting, in partnership with Human Resource
- Supervise, train, mentor and coach Medical Affairs team members to support the Medical Affairs operations of the organizations
- Direct, support, coach, train as needed Project Managers as assigned
- Source, engage and oversee consultants and vendors as needed to support Medical Affairs execution
- Develop internal resources, continuing education opportunities and trainings to ensure high level of internal Medical Affairs expertise
- Travel as needed to build rapport with team/ employees and support a comprehensive onboarding
Actively Participate in the Leadership Team 10%
- Develop and manage the annual budget for Medical Affairs
- Participate in the annual budget and strategic planning process
- Rigorously adhere to the IP vision and business plan and the principles of EOS
- Participate actively as a member of the Leadership team engaging in weekly, quarterly and annual planning meetings
- Contribute to strategic planning at the organization level and for the Medical Affairs team
- Develop and track to quarterly rocks (goals)
- Collaborate with leadership team colleagues on special projects to support the evolution and growth of the organization
- Travel as needed to participate in leadership team planning in person
Team Engagement 5%
- Model Innovation Partners Core Values at all times.
- Engage in weekly team meetings, quarterly team summits and other team/ planning/ strategy meetings as needed some via Zoom some in-person.
- Prepare reports, materials, presentations as needed for team meetings.
- Develop and follow internal core processes.
- Proactively identify issues and efficiency barriers and suggest and implement solutions.
- Travel as needed to engage in team events
- Degree required Masters/PhD or equivalent experience preferred
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant medical affairs biopharmaceutical oncology/ hematology experience in a mix of agency and industry settings
- Agency/ consulting firm experience (serving multiple pharma/ biotech/ medtech/ med device clients) is required
- Minimum of 4 years of medical/scientific communication/writing experience
- Project management experience
- Leadership experience
- Alignment with Innovation Partners values and culture
- Self-starter, motivated to build and grow teams, disciplines, service offerings. Capable and adaptable.
- Excellent written communication skills – must have the ability to formulate scientific/medical information in a clear and concise manner
- Excellent verbal communication and strong interpersonal communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Excited to contribute to a small but an accomplished and values driven team, willing to lead, assist and support in a variety of ways
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as a reliable team contributor
- Ability to work under deadlines and multi-task capably adapting to changing circumstances
- Willingness and desire to learn and grow
- Highly organized, self-motivated and resourceful
- Able to handle internal and client information while maintaining a high level of confidentiality
- Strong attention to detail
- Experienced and competent in using Microsoft Suite/ 365 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, SharePoint and Outlook)
The physical demands of this job are consistent with light office duties.
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This position’s work environment is in an office based remotely out of the candidate’s home/workspace.
20-30% Travel is required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those encountered by an employee while performing the essential functions of this job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each roles and responsibilities satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Innovation Partners is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.